Friday, February 4, 2011

Day one!

Today I decided to make a blog! This winter has been so harsh and I figured this would be a good way to pass time and share some crafts and ideas. My husband Nate went up to the cabin with his Dad and Brother, so I am going to get creative this weekend.

A few weeks ago I found some glass paints at Unique Thrift Store. It was an awesome find! Only $2.80 for a bag of 5 colors. I looked harder and saw they had 3 bags, so I bought them all. I have never done glass painting... YET! I saw a bunch of painted martini glasses at Hallmark a few weeks ago and they were really cute. I flipped one over to check the price... $25.00!? Wow, I thought to myself, I could make that! I also know I could make better ones than the glasses they had on display. They would be great gifts too.

While at the thrift store I also found a pretty little glass with an amber stem. I am going to use that as a practice piece and to hold small candle I got as a door prize from a candle party. I found a small round candle holder at Walmart for $1.00. I am going to recycle a frosted candle holder and see how that turns out too.

I googled glass art and got some inspiration and design ideas. Every time I got or saw a creative idea, I sketched it. I have about 20+ sketches, so I better get some more glass! My goal is to get really good at glass painting and maybe start taking orders for personalized pieces or sets.  I will make a few pieces and give them to family and friends.

I also want to say I have started feeling the baby move in the last few days! I find out "what kind of baby" (as my husband says) on the 16th!

5 comments:

  1. Nice job Nikki! I'm looking forward to following your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nikki, this is great! Love to read it and it makes me smile. Can't wait to see what you end up painting!
    Love you!
    Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! I am going to try and do some of this stuff. I forgot how much I enjoyed doing arts and crafts. Can't wait to see what else you come up with! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just finished painting my sample piece! I have to let it dry for 3 hours and then bake it for a half hour. So it should be done by midnight!

    ReplyDelete